Musings from a quasi-intellectual Christian musician...

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Pure Religion - Chapter 1


An Old Problem



"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man." - Psalm 118:9


I grew up in a pastor's home. As many people are aware, there is little question that a PK's maturation can easily be skewed by the varied aspects of humanity to which they are exposed. I have watched "saints" who purport to be Christ-like turn their fury on the man of God, seen converts destroyed by wagging tongues and critical spirits, and fallen victim to a convenient spirit of apathy that effectively destroyed any hope of true revival.

I have also seen revivals of multitudes of new converts, dead raised, cancers healed, stagnant churches raised up to bastions of hope for the hopeless, random acts of kindness without expectation of reciprocation.

The good, the bad, and the ugly. A roller coaster ride of humanity's capacity for both good and evil, righteousness and unrighteousness, kindness and cruelty. I've seen a lot. And much of this took place during the most impressionable years of my youth.

These glorious and grotesque views of life have, thankfully, led me to the firm belief that my eyes should be fixed not on man, but on the Creator, who is the embodiment of Goodness. Where man fails, God excels.

In my flesh, however, I often falter and allow myself to see inconsistencies that make my blood boil. One such inconsistency has made itself evident to me again and again.

*Disclaimer*
Let me preface my statements by saying that, although I am a member of a particular denomination, this problem can be found in any realm of Christianity. It seems especially prevalent, however, in people that pride themselves in their separation, both in ideology and in appearance, from the world. Let me set the record straight. I firmly believe in separation from the world. I believe in holiness and I believe in upholding standards of dress that separate us from the secular world in which we live.

Having made the disclaimer, I will begin to lay out for you the problem I seriously believe MUST be addressed in order for our churches to remain Christ-like. I personally believe this issue could determine the fate of our congregations in the coming future.

Be back soon....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Rich, judging by the times your articles posted, I see you have not changed your sleeping habits much. You always were a night owl.

Just wanted to say Hi, love what you and Hevyn are doing. Keep up the good work. We love and miss you both greatly.

Love ya, Tammye

5:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rich
Just read your article. Where is the rest? Keep up the good work bro that is the Richie I know and love

Waiting for your next posting

Big D

7:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home